I wish I had more good news like I had last post, but unfortunately I don't :(.... Yesterday we had good numbers and were thinking that dad would be discharged today, then he started with fever. So, they ran some x-rays and tests. This morning we got his numbers in and much to our dismay his platelets have dropped all the way back down to a 5 and all of his other climbing counts took a plummet as well. It is frustrating, discouraging, and all around not the news we wanted. The docs are suggesting that dad should participate in a clinical trial drug study to see if it can spur his body to finally start making platelets....... however, there are some scary potential side effects- one of which is lymphoma...... i'm sure i don't have to explain why that is a scary thought for us. We are not sure what direction we will go or when we will make the decision since we still do not have the complete dna or biopsy results back in yet. They are also beginning some pro-active measures because one of the x-rays showed some fluid in his lungs which could be the start of pneumonia- so they are trying to stop it before it takes hold.
All in all today is a TOUGH one and we are trying very hard to keep the faith and stay positive - please pray for dad and for all of us as we strive to remain positive and optimistic! We need that strength of spirit that only GOD can offer so join us in asking Him to provide us all with STRENGTH OF FAITH!
As far as looking forward, obviously given all the news today they are not considering discharge any time soon now and they are going to start pumping platelet transfusions twice a day. I will keep you updated as soon as we know any more about any of this news.
Love to all!